Prepare for a school trip: It is coming up to one of the busiest weeks for school trips, so we thought it would be a good time to give teachers some help to ensure they have paperwork ready for their school trip.

We at Activ4 School Tours are always trying to find new ways to help party leaders prepare for a school trip. During the week running up to your trip we will always try to organise a pre –departure call. These calls are a good way of checking that you have everything ready. It also gives you a chance to ask any questions. As next week is one of our busiest weeks of the ski season here is our final checklist. We have 10 essential items needed on all trips and some extras that depend on the kind of trip you are going on.

Essentials for being prepared:

  • Travel insurance policy

Most school groups already have travel insurance; however it is always a good idea to check the school policy. This way you can check all activities of your trip are covered. You can often add extra activities to the policy for an extra cost should anything not be covered. Alternatively, we recommend Endsleigh for getting group travel insurance.

Make sure you have a copy of your travel insurance policy with you in resort. Hopefully you won’t need this, however it is always better to be safe than sorry.

  • Passports – and a copy of all passports

Some schools choose to collect passports before the trip. This is a great way to ensure no one forgets theirs as well as giving you time to get a photocopy of each one. We always recommend having a photocopy of each passport, just to be on the safe side. Alternatively before the students get on the coach check they have their passport. This way if they have forgotten it, whoever is dropping them off can quickly dash home for it, rather than finding out at the ferry port or airport when it is too late to do anything.

passport for travel

Passport for travel

  • European Heath Insurance Card (EHIC)

Obviously if you’re not going to Europe these are not required. The government website now states that the EHIC card might not be valid from 1st January 2021. Until then we are still advising to take the EHIC card with you.

  • Activ4 Final Travel Pack & Itinerary

Around 2 weeks before departure we will upload all of your final travel pack to your Trello Board, containing all your travel documents. Make sure you look through and print off all of these documents. These will include your final itinerary, travel arrangements, emergency contact numbers etc.

  • ABTA/ATOL receipt

Make sure you print a copy of the latest ABTA/ATOL receipt you have received. If you are travelling by flight it will be an ATOL certificate and by coach an ABTA. These will state everything you have included in your package.

  • Damage deposit

Most hotels will require a damage deposit. Some require you to pay a set amount on arrival in resort.  Others hotels require a cheque to be held in the Activ4 office that will only be banked should there be any damages to the hotel.  As long as your party looks after the hotel there is no reason why you should not get your money back.

  • Damage Report Forms

We will supply one for the coach (if you’re travelling by coach) and for the hotel rooms. By filling these out beforehand, making a note of any damages, you can see on arrival, you won’t be charged for anything that had happened pre your trip.

  • Ferry and flight reference numbers / boarding passes

Depending on how you’re travelling, you need to make sure you have all of the relevant travel information, including your ferry or flight reference numbers and e-tickets and boarding passes. Where possible we will get the group checked in online and then you can print all of the boarding passes before the trip.

boarding passes for travel

Boarding passes for travel

  • P&O Ferries Passenger List

Make sure you have 2 copies with you, one copy for the outward journey and then one copy for the return journey. You will also need to make sure there is space to add the drivers and rep details. It is fine to handwrite these on the form before checking in. If you hand these to the coach drivers they will check everyone in on at arrival of the port.

  • Visas, ESTA or eTA (where applicable)

Always check the government website to find out if you require a visa, ESTA or eTA for your travels. You may also need to check other government websites should you have any students of different nationalities.

Extras depending on your type of trip

  • Passenger list printed on school headed paper

Some destinations require a list of passenger names on school headed paper. These are often the case when collecting items like tickets or lift passes.  Activ4 School Tours will advise you if this is needed.

  • Accident Report Forms

You can find our accident report form on your Trello board. Make sure you have a few spare copies with you again hopefully you won’t require them but better to be safe than sorry.

  • Equipment

For performing arts trips you may need music equipment, iPods etc necessary for workshops. Also for a sports tour you will require training equipment and match kit, we recommend 1 ball between 2 students, cones and bibs as a minimum. If you are planning on taking ski equipment with you, we will need to know this as soon as possible to ensure this can be catered for.

  • RFU Permission to tour document

If you are playing rugby on your tour you will now need to apply for permission from your local County Schools Union. Activ4 School Tours will send you the form, so all you need to do is complete and sent back to us.

When you have checked you have everything on this list, you will be ready to get going. Remember we are always at the end of the phone should you need any more information for running your trip.

If you haven’t got a trip booked with us at the moment request a quote today.


Share This