Teacher Zone: health and safety information

Health Advice

Activ4 recommends that all groups travelling outside of the UK take adequate travel insurance which will cover all relevant aspects of your tour. Activ4 is an appointed representative of Endsliegh Insurance who provides specific cover for groups.

Groups travelling within the EU

Reciprocal health agreements have been established in the European Economic Area (member states of the EU plus Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. The benefit of this is that frequently, medical treatment can be provided free of charge, avoiding the need to claim money back from insurers. Old E111 forms have now been replaced with the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge.

Everyone who is resident in the UK should have one and carry it with them when travelling abroad. Remember to check your EHIC is still valid before you travel. Applying for the card is free and it’s valid for up to five years.

The cards are issued on an individual basis. Children/wards cards are not covered by the parents/guardians card. Forms are available from the Post Office or online. The forms need to be completed and stamped at the Post Office to be valid. Eligible group members will need to have the EHIC to benefit from free healthcare arrangements.

Groups Travelling Outside the EU

As a Party Leader we recommend that you check the NHS Choices website for information about healthcare in the country you are going to and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website www.fco.gov.uk for the latest medical advice for travellers.

School Policy on Parental Permission for Treatment Whilst Abroad

Please check your school policy on how students are treated whilst abroad, in many cases this will involve obtaining the requisite permission by means of a standard form before you travel.

Teachernet – Health and Safety on Educational Visits (HASPEV)

Help and advice for teachers regarding health and safety aspects of organising a school trip. Explains how to comply with LEA guidelines, a handbook for group leaders and standards for teachers overseeing school trips and visits. Click the link below for more info on HASPEV – external site: www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/healthandsafety/visits/

Health and Safety Executive – Information on Risk Assesments for School Tours

Information on Risk Assesment Requirements for school tours and educational trips from the Government Health and Safety Executive – visit external site: www.hse.gov.uk/schooltrips/keypoints/assessment.htm

Share This